Saturday 26 April 2014

Upcoming: Middlemarch watch-along


Recently, I was reminded of the wonderful George Eliot novel Middlemarch twice. First, I read the book My life in Middlemarch by Rebecca Mead, a wonderful exploration by Mead about her favourite novel. Then, Miss Laurie from Old-Fashioned Charm posted a review about the 1994 adaptation of Middlemarch

So, I couldn't deny it anymore, I really needed to either rewatch or reread Middlemarch! I chose a rewatch and I thought I'd share it with you all, with a watch-along. 
How's it going to work? I will watch one episode every week and post my thoughts about it here. I'll also try and come up with some discussion questions. And, at the end of the watch-along, there will be a give-away!!

I hope you'll join in and watch or rewatch Middlemarch with me! I plan to post my first episode 'review' at the end of this week. I made two buttons for this, my very first blog event. I would love it if you could post them on your own blog.

Middlemarch watch-along

Middlemarch watch-along

12 comments:

  1. I'm tempted! My library system has this, but both copies are checked out and not due until the end of the week. Amazon also has it on DVD for under $10... but do I have time to watch another thing every week? Hmm. I'll sleep on it and decide tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my humble opinion it's worth the $10.... I checked YouTube for you, but it wasn't there unfortunately.

      Delete
  2. This sounds awesome, but I still haven't read it! I really need to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read it either! But I'm fine with seeing a movie before reading the book, I do it all the time.

      Delete
    2. I do too, especially with classics. I'm trying to break the habit, though, because it does taint how I read a book...not always in a bad way, but I like to have my first impressions. Who knows, I might cave and watch it with you guys anyway!

      Delete
    3. I'm afraid I would be watching very little adaptations if I would have to read all of the books first...

      Delete
    4. Very few I mean. My English is not 'on' yet this early in the morning...

      Delete
    5. I find if I see the movie first, I will enjoy both the movie and the book. But if I read the book first, a lot of times I'll fall into nitpickiness and not enjoy the movie as much.

      Anyway, I started watching "Middlemarch" last night, and it was such a cool experience! Because I realized that it has been a LONG time since I started a movie or book with no real idea of who the characters are, what the story is. I don't know who to root for or anything! Very cool -- it reminds me of before I went to college, when almost every movie or book was just, "Boom! Get to know us as you go."

      Delete
    6. That's a great philosphy, Hamlette!

      I'm so pleased you enjoyed starting Middlemarch so much. I'm looking forward to hearing your comments on the first episode.

      Delete
    7. I see what you mean! It depends on what it is for me--I might try this one.

      Delete
  3. What a fun idea! I haven't watched this for several years. Not sure that I'll be watching along with you, but I'll definitely tune in here to find out your thoughts. Great idea, Birdie! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He, thanks for the comment! Hope to see your thoughts also popping up at my Middlemarch posts!

      Delete