Saturday 18 February 2017

Book review: The third sister



In Sense and Sensibility, Margaret, the youngest Dashwood sister, is only a young teenager, but witness to the pain her sisters are suffering for love. Now, at 17, she is the only daughter living at home with her mother. She wants more of life then the monotony of Barton Park and playing nursemaid to the Middleton children, but is also hestitant in socializing with men, cautious of making the same mistakes as her sisters.


A long time ago, I read a Pride and Prejudice continuation by Julia Barrett. I don't remember much about it, but that I really enjoyed it. So when I saw The third sister in a second hand bookstore, I bought it immediately. Us Austen fans can be a difficult bunch to please with Austen continuations, I know I am! The third sister definitely falls on the right side of the genre, though it is not the very best I've ever read.

The style is the very best thing about this novel. Julia Barrett manages to emulate the 19th century style of Jane Austen, without being cramped. Jane Austen ofcourse is queen of humorous social satire, but I feel Julia Barrett comes quite close here. I snickered at her dry descriptions of John and Fanny Dashwood and Robert and Lucy Ferrars. Also, I liked how this novel included the historic events of the Napoleontic era and the influx of many French aristrocrats into English society. Finally, I enjoyed how Julia Barrett wrote Margaret. Many modern authors of 'Austenesque' books make the heroines also very modern, in their thinking and behaving. In this novel, Margaret is a real Regency character and her thoughts and doubts are (in my opinion) fitting for a girl of her period.

The thing is though, we don't get to know Margaret thát well in this (relatively short) novel. The story doesn't just visit S&S characters like Elinor, Marianne, Fanny and John etc, multiple chapters are even written from their standpoint. And while it's fun to meet up again with these well-known and loved characters (and to see Elinor and Marianne so happy!), it also distracts from Margaret's storyline. This is probably the reason the ending of The third sister felt rather rushed. Also, I missed a good buildup of the relationship between Margaret and her suitor. 

Overall, while this novel is not among my favourites, it's definitely a pleasant (such a proper Austen term!) one-time read which I can recommend to my fellow Austen fans.


This review was written for Hamlette's I love Jane Austen week




8 comments:

  1. It will have to go on to my to-read list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting! The lack of character development would put me off too, but it does sound fun. If my library has it, I will give this a try sometime.

    Thanks for reviewing it for I Love Austen Week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU for hosting the week! I still have many posts to read, but the content I've already seen is delightful!

      Delete
  3. Sounds worth a look, I always wondered what would happen to Margaret :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are quite a few Austen characters I've often wondered about and that surely is fodder for these Austenesque writers!

      Delete
  4. I've read a few Jane Austen based novels, but this one is unfamiliar to me. It looks like it would be a "pleasant" read for me, as I am a fellow Jane Austen fan. :) Sometimes it's nice to revisit old and beloved characters, even if the book holds other problems or annoyances. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, lot's of these Austen based novels (or webseries, or movies...) really are comfort reads!

      Delete
  5. Awww, such a shame it didn't quite live up to expectations. But it still sounds worth the read.

    ReplyDelete